In the eighteen months since Stacy Peterson disappeared from her home, her husband and only suspect, Drew Peterson has never passed up an opportunity to appear in the media and talk about the case and his life. Drew’s attorney, Joel Brodsky, has allowed and even condoned these many appearances, usually appearing alongside his client.
Brodsky calls this unusual approach his white noise media technique. “Its an over saturation of the media. If you say just a few things they can pick it apart for inconsistencies, but if you say a lot then any inconsistencies will cancel each other out” is how he explained it on an Internet forum.
So, at this point we have many, many statements from Drew Peterson. I don’t know about inconsistencies — he has been pretty consistent with time line details (except for a few glaring exceptions), but all those public statements do seem to have provided more than a few contradictions, or at least discrepancies between what he says and how he acts.
- Drew seems to have some pretty negative feelings about people wearing wires to gather information, but his own ex wives say that their homes and phones were bugged by him.
- Drew wants us to believe that he is truthful, and yet he boasts about his days as an undercover narcotics cop and says he enjoyed working “cons”. He also states that back in the day “you had to lie to your girlfriend to see your wife”.
- Drew denigrates all potential witnesses as drug addicts, street rats, mentally ill, etc. Yet these are the same people that he had work for him, went into business with, and let babysit his kids.
- Drew takes exception to the Grand Jury of lay people who indicted him for murder because they aren’t legal or forensics experts, but he was happy to accept the decision of the Coroner’s Jury of lay people who said that his third wife’s death was accidental.
- Drew claims that every potential witness to come forward is just trying to profit from the situation, and yet he’s been charging for interviews as far back as January 2008, and has his PR man pitching reality shows and a book deal.
- Drew says that his ex-wife Stacy was always “seeking attention from men”, but he never passes up the chance to chat with an attractive reporter or producer, or to go out to bars where girls sit on his lap for photos.
We know there are more than these examples!
Peterson is presently in custody in the Will County Jail, where yesterday he granted a collect-call telephone interview to Matt Lauer of MSNBC. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, May 18.
Idea for this post is from a comment by Thinkaboutit. Thanks!
I don’t know who made the clever book cover at the top, but if it’s yours let me know so I can credit you.
Line and paragraph breaks are automatic in comments. The following HTML is allowed if you want to use some:
<a href=""> <abbr> <acronym> <b> <blockquote> <cite> <pre> <em> <i> <q> <strike> <strong>